Saturday 11 October 2014

90's Choker Necklaces

I think the beauty of fashion is getting to reinvent yourself everyday. I see outfits as costumes; depending on the weather or your mood, every morning you get to decided who you want to be. A Goth, a Hippie, or even channel your inner Holly Golightly. Let's just say my wardrobe is very eclectic.

If I had to describe my style, I'd go for Hippie Witch!

The Gypsy Queen / Queen of Hippie Witch...

& here's Florence Welch nailing Twin Peaks...
(CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY'RE BRINGING IT BACK?!)

Lately I've been LOVING the revival of the classic 90's choker. This trend stems from an era of teen witches, black lipsticks and a cat who goes by the name of Salem.


The love children of rock stars allllways get it right...

 When I think of chokers, I think of Nancy from The Craft. If you haven't seen this cult classic, follow this Coven Calendar I found on Tumblr


For those who need a little more convincing, I made a brew and did a little digging. Here's some more 90's heroes of mine that got the choker memo...

Bonus points to Charlotte for her quintessential 90's Björk hairdo and Samantha for the top hat. (Everyone should own a top hat!)

HOW did I not know Liv Tyler and Joaquin Phoenix dated in the 90's?! Amazing.

Obligatory vampire slayers / teen witches...

Bad-ass Mathilda in Léon: The Professional and her iconic sun choker.


And finally, a little more mature (and intergalactic) Natalie Portman as Queen Amidala of Naboo with some serious Star Wars choker action...

I thought I'd get in on the mix!
I recently picked up this velvet choker at Urban Outfitters...



What's your favourite 90's trend?